(021) Vegetable Soup

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 01, 2011 10:38 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, Olaf (dripping wet), Desmond (feeling sick), and Ulric examine the portcullis winch carefully, Olaf holding the glaring scepter over it, under it, and all around it for a better look.

If it is booby trapped, it must be very cleverly done indeed. There is no sign of anything unexpected connected to either the great spool of heavy chain, nor the ratchet mechanism.

In fact, it all looks as it should do...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond says, "Go ahead and do it."

Then he immediately steps to stand just in the doorway... and takes a deep breath, just in case.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

eris wrote:
Olaf chuckles at Desmond saying with a grin, "I see you're really sure I should do this."

"How about it Ulric?" Olaf asks as he prepares to kick the block aside, "Speak now or accept your share of the blame if this blows up in our faces."

If he hears nothing from Ulric, Olaf will say, "This might be loud!" and kick the block out of the way, stepping back quickly...just in case.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

waysoftheearth wrote:
Olaf gives the ratchet lever a hard kick with his boot.

There is an immeasurable clatter as the great spool turns fiercely, throwing off ages of dust and rust and webs as the chains are yanked mercilessly up into ceiling holes. And then there is a great rattle and thud from outside -- presumably as the portcullis crashes down into place.

And then there is silence, and the cloud of rust and dust gradually begins to settle...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

danhem wrote:
Ulric begins to open his mouth as Olaf's boot hits the block. Ulric stands motionless waiting from the whole contraption to come crashing down upon them. But the gate seems to work.

"Let's go have a look," Ulric says.

Ulric heads out into the rain to inspect the presumably lowered portcullis.

"Hopefully we can raise it again the morning,"
he says as he walks out. "But at least we can keep those bears out now."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:Ulric begins to open his mouth as Olaf's boot hits the block. Ulric stands motionless waiting from the whole contraption to come crashing down upon them. But the gate seems to work.

"Let's go have a look," Ulric says.

Ulric heads out into the rain to inspect the presumably lowered portcullis.

"Hopefully we can raise it again the morning,"
he says as he walks out. "But at least we can keep those bears out now."
"You look, I'm going to tell the rest of the party what all the noise was about." says Olaf as he head back toward the room where the rest of the party is assembled.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond follows Ulric out, saying, "I'll check on this with you... then I need to lay down 'cause I still feel like crap."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 6:15 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

Professor P wrote:
KOCH hears the loud bang. "Great, another smashing sound. I hope that doesn't herald another trap."

KOCH walks over to Pelenwin and helps him finish up the makeshift caltrops.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

heartless wrote:
Wibert will keep cooking veggie soup for entree with rations for main course.

While he waits for the soup to cook he will find a wooden back wall or door in the kitchen he can practice throwing his daggers, when noone is around. 'You can always get better with practice' his dad used to say.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

eris wrote:
Olaf comes into the room where the others are gathered around the fire and says, "I dropped the gate. At least, I think I did. That was the big bang you just heard."

"Hey, a fire!" Olaf goes over and starts trying to warm himself, "My clothes are wet, my boots are full of water, I'm chilled right down to the bone!"

Return to “Hinterlands”