(044) A Hinterlands Venture

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm

verhaden wrote:
Torben

"Drinking, as of late," Torben smiles, still feeling the effects of their recent hospitality. "As for the specifics, I can't rightly say--benevolent plunderin'?" He scratches his beard. "I'm newly discovered talent, like yourself."

"Name's Torben," he says, extending a hand.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:53 pm

eris wrote:
Ronin84 wrote:
"Oh!" says Josiane with some surprise; "Er... hello. And you are..?"
Garven's almost bushy red eyebrows rise in as his eyes open wide, "Garven Bloodbrow be my name and I am of the Mountain Guard." His voice raising a bit in the end there.

"And what is this group gathered for, if no one minds me asking?"
"A quest given us by the Sisters of Mercy." Olaf says, "They want us to clean out one of their outlying Abbeys that has been infested by evil creatures and, if possible, return with some of their ancient artifacts. In return, they'll lift a little curse that seems to have settled on me."

"Might be some loot in it, too." Olaf says, "Maybe there's not. We'll see once we get there."

"Well, I think I should stride ahead and scout like we were doing this morning." Olaf says, "Anyone care to join me?"

Along with anyone who joins him, Olaf will lengthen his stride and again move a few dozen yards ahead of the main group. He will continue to keep an eye out for dangers ahead and to both sides.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:58 pm

rleduc wrote:
Guntrum lengthens his stride to keep pace with Olaf.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 pm

doctorx wrote:
Happy that Olaf has support, Josiane stays protectively close to Murphy the mule.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 pm

eris wrote:
rleduc wrote:Guntrum lengthens his stride to keep pace with Olaf.
Olaf gives Guntrum a nod and a smile, "Thanks for the company, Guntrum."

Olaf has his bow in hand and arrows loose in his quiver ready for use if needed.

"I haven't been up this way before." Olaf says, "The group hasn't either, so I don't know what to expect...other than trouble."

While Olaf listens and watches for danger, he'll also be looking the terrain over. Is it hilly, wooded, streams the road fords, any signs of habitation, smoke on the horizon, birds in the trees, or circling up in the sky, tracks of animals in the dirt of the road?

How recently has this road been traveled and does it seem like it is regularly or rarely traveled?

How is the weather? Is it going to be cold and rainy tonight?

Later, Olaf says to Guntrum, "We'll want to encamp before dark. Somewhere sheltered and with access to water."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Ronin84 wrote:
Taking the offered hand, "Garven, again, be nice meetin' you."

At the mention of the sister's of mercy and evil creatures.

"Well then Olaf, Torben if you have use for another strong arm and strong heart..."

Seeing them beginning to go. "Torben I think our paths are going to merge together a bit." "Safety in numbers, has always been prudent."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

doctorx wrote:
"The Mountain Guard?" Josiane enquires politely of Garven; "Is this a Knightly Order of your people? I too aspire to such a calling. Please tell me more."

She has heard tell that the Elder Races have religious companies of their own similar to the Guardian Path, but is fascinated to actually meet a member of such a one.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:18 pm

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan will approach this dwarf and listen in on his conversation with Josiane. Having spent so much time in the lands of Men, he is less than familiar with the Mountain Guard but doesn't want to reveal his ignorance.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm

rleduc wrote:
eris wrote: "I haven't been up this way before." Olaf says, "The group hasn't either, so I don't know what to expect...other than trouble."
"Oh, aye. It should find us soon enough. Never need to look far for it."
eris wrote: Later, Olaf says to Guntrum, "We'll want to encamp before dark. Somewhere sheltered and with access to water."
Guntrum also keeps watch as Olaf does; in addition, he keeps an eye out for any settlements. Is the land truly wilderness, or are there patches of farmland or villages? An old barn, in use or otherwise, would be a handy shelter. He keeps an eye out for any sign of previous traffic in either direction on the road. He also keeps watch for any possibilities of game to extend the rations.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ahead of you, the terrain rises steadily, and by evening you will reach the foothills proper. Beyond those, the shadows of perilous jags and peaks loom on the horizon, comfortably distant. For now.

Beyond the crossroads, and Eberhardt's pavilion, the road turns south-east (toward Maine and the interior of the Kingdom) and north-west (toward the Great Forest, and foreign parts beyond). Your route, however, is into the Hinterlands, and you must continue east.

Olaf and Guntram lope ahead of the main group as you leave the road and strike out cross-country, exchanging introductions and tales on the march...

Return to “Hinterlands”