(044) A Hinterlands Venture

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Scouting Ahead
(Olaf and Guntram)

You are just entering a region of proper wilderness. The farmsteads and fields that surround Ket are behind you now. Looking back in the direction of Ket, you can still see a few fields here and there, but looking ahead it is all untamed plains coming into rough lands.

It is getting on toward afternoon on a pleasant spring day. The terrain is rising gently toward the Hinterlands foothills, which you may reach by evening; or on the morrow certainly. Despite the isolation, the land is alive with grasses and small wild flowers, and the air buzzes with busy insects. There are birds in the sky, and signs that there are small game about.

You passed a number of small brooks and springs prior to the crossroads, and you anticipate encountering much the same ahead.

There are no obvious signs of habitation or camp sites in your immediate vicinity...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:05 am

Ronin84 wrote:
"The Mountain Guard?" Josiane enquires politely of Garven; "Is this a Knightly Order of your people? I too aspire to such a calling. Please tell me more."

"We are the guardians of forge and mine, the eyes and arms in the deepest tunnels, we are the first against our foes and the last they ever see."

Thinking hard for a moment.

"Milady, I don't know if you would call us a Knightly Order but we believe in laws and fair dealings, and oppose all those that think contrary to that."

Trudging on but staying in the conversation, "And Lady Josiane who do I share the road with?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 am

danhem wrote:
Ulric looked over the dwarf warrior with a slightly amused expression. How many had wandered into their company just as this dwarf had?

"Well met Garven, I am Ulric. We could certainly use another strong arm, but also a good head. Know this, however before you choose to join us; death follows this company. He is as much part of this group as any you see walking this road."

As they left the road and headed off into the wilderness once again, Ulric looked for any rare or special plants. There were many with special properties, useful in creating new spells. Others were edible. Ulric kept an eye out for any that looked useful.

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:00 am

mgtremaine wrote:
Wen would wander along not seemingly concerned about much of anything. He would certainly pause to take a look and the wildflowers as they appear, and the buzzing insects would make him laugh, he would imitate their noise back at them when they drew near. Generally just happy to be walking through the wild-lands in the late afternoon. In the times when his flower watching and insect talking puts him behind the main troop he would pause to give a good listen to the back trail. If nothing interesting can be heard or seen he would quickly scamper back into the midst of the group and repeat the cycle.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 am

Ronin84 wrote:
"Well met Garven, I am Ulric. We could certainly use another strong arm, but also a good head. Know this, however before you choose to join us; death follows this company. He is as much part of this group as any you see walking this road."

"Well met, I thank you. The one you speak of has been a companion of mine since my birth. That though is a tale for another taproom, lead on and let's be about this."

If engaged in conversation will speak otherwise keep an eye on the road.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm

coffee wrote:
Dieter will listen to the conversation with the new dwarf, but not join in. His eyes are constantly on the scouting party, alert for any sign of trouble up ahead.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
To no one in particular, Desmond interjects, "We have an old saying in my village... 'Never go against a sissy elven when Death is on the line.' I've never understood what it meant, though. Probably because I've never met a sissy elf."

It's purely nervous banter, though, as now there is yet ANOTHER person to reveal his pain-in-the-neck second head to, and he's feeling a bit self conscious.

He pulls the cloak's hood down tighter and lapses into silence as they trudge on.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 pm

rleduc wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Scouting Ahead
It is getting on toward afternoon on a pleasant spring day. The terrain is rising gently toward the Hinterlands foothills, which you may reach by evening; or on the morrow certainly. Despite the isolation, the land is alive with grasses and small wild flowers, and the air buzzes with busy insects. There are birds in the sky, and signs that there are small game about.
Guntrum smiles looking about at the terrain. "It's a good bit o' land, this. Should be an easy bivouac long as the weather holds. Them Hinterlands ahead look a bit rougher, though. I'd be for breaking early to camp on these grounds by a creek with mebbe some chance of getting some game in the evening hours. That way we will get to them rougher hills early in the morning with one less night to spend there."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:54 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
The afternoon draws on, and the weather remains fair. The scouts ahead spot a pair of Men afar, heading back toward The Boar's pavilion with their catch -- but these give the company a wide berth and are soon gone from sight.

In another hour the shadows are beginning to lengthen and the air to cool as evening approaches.

Olaf and Guntram locate a neat fold along the side of a ridge in which a tiny brook babbles. It looks to be an ideal place to camp for the night.

(Do you wish to rest for the night, or force your march overnight?)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

tonneau wrote:
Gustave, somewhat parched after his deep conversation with Eberhardt's barrel, plants his face in the babbling brook and drinks deeply. It would seem his vote is for camping soon...

Return to “Hinterlands”